Based on George R.R. Martin’s Fire & Blood, House of the Dragon is set 200 years before the events of Game of Thrones and tells the story of House Targaryen.
House of the Dragon stars Matt Smith, Olivia Cooke, Emma D’Arcy, Eve Best, Steve Toussaint, Fabien Frankel, Ewan Mitchell, Tom Glynn-Carney, Sonoya Mizuno, Rhys Ifans, Harry Collett, Bethany Antonia, Phoebe Campbell, Phia Saban, Jefferson Hall, and Matthew Needham. Additional Season 2 cast includes: Abubakar Salim, Gayle Rankin, Freddie Fox, Simon Russell Beale, Clinton Liberty, Jamie Kenna, Kieran Bew, Tom Bennett, Tom Taylor, and Vincent Regan.
Co-creator/executive producer, George R.R. Martin; co-creator/showrunner/executive producer, Ryan Condal; executive producers, Sara Hess, Alan Taylor, Melissa Bernstein, Kevin de la Noy, Loni Peristere, and Vince Gerardis. Based on George R.R. Martin’s Fire & Blood.
Before You Watch
The cast and crew break down everything you need to know before you dive into Season 1.
- Before the Dance: An Illustrated History with George R.R. MartinThe creator and executive producer sets up the series with insights into the show's major players and relationships, alongside illustrations from Fire & Blood artist Doug Wheatley.
- Height of an EmpirePaddy Considine, Matt Smith, and more cast and crew discuss how House of the Dragon takes place during the height of the Targaryen reign over Westeros, and how that influenced the story and design of the series.
- Noble HousesRhys Ifan, Steve Toussaint and more break down the historical significance and role of the two prominent houses in the series: the Velaryons and the Hightowers.
- A New ReignExecutive producers George R.R. Martin, Ryan Condal and Miguel Sapochnik offer a look at what's to come; reflecting on the responsibility of evolving the world of Westeros and approaching the show through a new lens.
- Returning to WesterosThe cast and crew share the thrills and challenges of entering the world of Game of Thrones, and approaching it when the Targaryens are at the height of their power.
Watch for Free
Welcome to Westeros
Immerse yourself while you wait for Season 2.
The Official Guide
Dive even deeper into the world of House of the Dragon to learn more about the characters and their connections, the dragons and their riders, and an interactive map of Westeros and Essos.
Raise your own personalized virtual dragon in a new augmented reality app available for download in the Apple and Google Play app stores on your mobile device. Visit the FAQ page for more info.
The Official Playlist
Get ready for House of the Dragon with brand new music from composer Ramin Djawadi along with your favorites from past seasons of Game of Thrones.
Catch exclusive behind-the-scenes interviews with the cast and crew breaking down the series' biggest moments and the process behind creating its memorable sets.
- Inside the Episode: S1 E1Ryan Condal, Miguel Sapochnik, and more break down the Great Council scene and the underlying meaning behind Viserys tournament.
- Inside the Episode: S1 E2Milly Alcock (Rhaenyra Targaryen), Emily Carey (Alicent Hightower), Ryan Condal, Miguel Sapochnik and more discuss the selection of the Kingsguard, the face-off at Dragonstone, and the pressure Viserys faces to choose a new wife in "The Rogue Prince."
- Inside the Episode: S1 E3Ryan Condal, Miguel Sapochnik, Matt Smith (Daemon Targaryen), and more speak to the time jump in the third episode, Viserys and Rhaenyra's mental states during the hunt, and Daemon's fight at the Stepstones.
- Inside the Episode: S1 E4Ryan Condal, director Clare Kilner, Emily Carey (Alicent Hightower) and more hone in on the motivation behind Daemon’s advances towards Rhaenyra, approaching intimate scenes from a woman’s point of view, and the fractures in Rhaenyra and Alicent's friendship in Episode 4.
- Inside the Episode: S1 E5Ryan Condal, director Clare Kilner, Rhys Ifans (Otto Hightower), Emily Carey (Alicent Hightower) and more dive into Rhaenyra and Laenor's marriage arrangement, and where Alicent's allegiances lie in Episode 5.
- Inside the Episode: S1 E6Cast and crew, including Emma D’Arcy (Rhaenyra) and Matt Smith (Daemon), examine how Rhaenyra’s lies are starting to catch up with her, and the slow unraveling of Daemon’s marriage while living in Pentos.
- Inside the Episode: S1 E7Leo Ashton (Aemond Targaryen), Emma D'Arcy (Rhaenyra Targaryen), John MacMillian (Laenor Velaryon) and more speak to the fallout that occurs after Aemond loses his eye during a fight, and how Laena's death causes Laenor to reflect on his own life.
- Inside the Episode: S1 E8Director Geeta Vasant Patel, Paddy Considine (Viserys Targaryen), Wil Johnson (Vaemond Velaryon) and more dive into the motivation behind Vaemond challenging Luke’s claim to Driftmark, and Viserys’ attempt at bringing his family together in Episode 8.
- Inside the Episode: S1 E9Showrunners Ryan Condal and Miguel Sapochnik, director Clare Kilner, Tom Glynn-Carney (Aegon Targaryen) and more unpack the moment when Alicent finally sees her father for who he is, Aemond’s underlying resentment for Aegon, and Rhaenys' escape from King's Landing in Episode 9.
- Inside the Episode: S1 E10Showrunner Miguel Sapochnik, director Greg Yaitanes, Emma D’Arcy (Rhaenyra Targaryen), Eve Best (Rhaenys Targaryen), and more explore the emotional complexity Rhaenyra endures after hearing the Greens usurped the throne, Rhaenys’ change of heart, and the implications of Aemond and Luke’s encounter in Episode 10.