Digital Amateur Night Contest Official Rules
HBO DIGITAL AMATEUR NIGHT CONTEST
NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
1. CONTEST TIMING: The HBO Digital Amateur Night Contest (the “Contest”) begins at 1:00 PM Eastern Time (“ET”) on 10/16/19 through 11:59 PM ET on 10/25/19 (“Contest Period”).
2. ELIGIBILITY: Open only to legal residents of the 48 contiguous United States, Washington, D.C. and Puerto Rico who are at least 18 years of age and of the age of majority in their state of residence (i.e., 19 years of age in Alabama and Nebraska; 21 years of age in Mississippi). Void in Alaska, Hawaii and where prohibited by law. Entrants/performers must be amateur performers who do not have a record deal at a major label or studio as of date of entry. Employees of Home Box Office, Inc. (“Sponsor”), Warner Media, LLC, Twitter, and their respective affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies (collectively, the “Promotion Entities”) and the immediate family members and/or those living in the same household of each are not eligible. Entrants must have a non-private Twitter account to enter; i.e., entries must be visible in public hashtag searches from time of entry through time of winner verification. There is no purchase required to register for a Twitter account. Entrants/performers must also have a valid email address, which will be used to verify potential winners.
3. HERE’S HOW IT WORKS: During the Contest Period, publically Tweet a video of your amateur talent act (your “Act”); the Act may include, but is not limited to, singing, dancing, comedy, rapping, spoken word art, musical and/or variety acts. Tweets must include the mention @HBOdocs and the hashtags #TheApolloDoc and #AmateurNightContest (your "Submission" or “Entry”). All entries must be received by 11:59 PM ET on 10/25/19.
Acts must be 60 seconds in length or fewer; if a video exceeds 60 seconds, only the first 60 seconds will be judged. A maximum of one additional performer may be featured in the Act along with entrant. If an entrant’s Act features an additional person, entrant attests that he/she has received permission from other person depicted in the Submission to enter the Contest on his/her behalf. Entrant must make a written copy of such permission available to the Sponsor upon request. Limit one (1) Entry per Twitter account. A person may only use one Twitter account to enter. All Entries must comply with the Submission Guidelines outlined in Rule #4. Entrants submitting their entry via Twitter, who do not follow @HBOdocs, must enable their “Receive messages from anyone” option from time of entry though time of prize award. In the event a potential winning Act consists of two performers, both performers will be recognized as winners, subject to completion of Prize Documents, and compliance with the Eligibility requirements (per Rule #2) and verification of eligibility (per Rule #5); however, each such winner will travel to the Apollo Theater without a guest and will share hotel accommodations with the other performer in their Act. For potential winning Acts that consist of two performers, if either performer is disqualified for any reason, neither performer will be eligible to receive a prize.
- The Submission cannot contain/display any unacceptable clothing or adornments, or prominent commercial/corporate advertising other than Sponsor’s (including but not limited to corporate logos, brand names and slogans). Submission may include HBO brand names and/or trademarks; the use of HBO brand names and/or trademarks is permitted only for the purpose of entering in this Contest. The use of HBO brand names and/or trademarks is not required.
- Submission cannot contain any information that references other websites, addresses, email addresses, contact information or phone numbers.
- The Submission must not contain derogatory statements (including words or symbols that are widely considered offensive to individuals of a certain race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, or socioeconomic group).
- The Submission must not include threats to any person, place, business, or group; it must not invade privacy or other rights of any person, firm, entity, and it must not in any way violate or promote violation of applicable federal, state, or local laws and regulations including, but not limited to, those concerning copyright, plagiarism, trademark, publicity/privacy rights and defamation.
- Submission must not include or show any dangerous behavior or activity or contain content that promotes dangerous activities that may result in injury to oneself or others.
- Submission must not contain indecent behavior, profanities or obscenities, including but not limited to nudity, or pornography, and must not in any way disparage persons or organizations, including those associated with Sponsor.
- Submission must not include any personally identifiable information of any third party.
- Submission must not refer, depict or in any way reflect negatively upon the Sponsor, the Contest, or any other person or entity.
- Submission must be suitable for presentation in a public forum and be consistent with the theme and image of the Contest.
- Submission must not promote irresponsible or excessive consumption of alcohol, promote illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons, or any particular political agenda or message.
- Entrant must receive prior written permission from the videographer if the video was taken by someone other than the entrant him/herself that allows entrant to grant the rights set forth in the Official Rules. Entrant must make written copies of such permission available to the Sponsor upon request.
- By entering, entrant certifies that the Submission he/she submitted includes his/her own performance and that he/she has followed and complied with the Official Rules of the Contest.
5. JUDGING: Beginning on or about 10/28/19, all Entries will be judged by Sponsor and/or its designees to determine (50) Finalist Acts. Finalists will then be judged by Sponsor and/or its designees to determine (2) Grand Prize winning Acts. All winners are subject to verification of eligibility. Judging will be based on: Creativity (40%); Artistic Merit (30%); and Relevance to Contest Theme (30%). In the event a tie needs to be broken, tied Entries will be rejudged based on the above criteria. Potential winners will be contacted by @HBOdocs via a Direct Message (“DM”) on Twitter, beginning on or about 10/30/19. Potential winners must email Sponsor’s agent the required information to be received within 24-hours from the time DM was sent. In the event a potential winner’s email is not received within this timeframe, that potential winner may be disqualified and an alternate potential winner may be notified, time permitting. Potential Grand Prize winners will be contacted by email and will be required to complete and return, electronically, an Affidavit of Eligibility, Release of Liability, Prize Acceptance Form, and (where legally permissible) a Publicity Release within 24-hours of notification. For Acts with only 1 performer, guest of Grand Prize winner must also complete and return a Release of Liability, and (where legally permissible) a Publicity Release within the same time period. Noncompliance within this time period may result in disqualification and an alternate potential winner will be notified, time permitting. Potential winners will be contacted by Sponsor via email with instructions on how to submit the original uncompressed version of his/her Video, by a specified deadline. Noncompliance with the instructions or stated deadline may result in disqualification, in the sole discretion of Sponsor and an alternate potential winner will be notified, time permitting. Sponsor assumes no responsibility for undeliverable DMs or emails resulting from any form of active or passive filtering by email service providers or for insufficient space in user’s account to receive email. Return of any DM or email as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate potential winner will be notified, time permitting.
6. PRIZES AND APPROXIMATE RETAIL VALUE (ARV): Two (2) Grand Prizes – A 3-day/2-night trip (11/19/19 – 11/21/19) for winner and one (1) guest to New York, NY for the winner to perform on-stage during Amateur Night (the “Event”) at the Apollo Theater, on 11/20/19. Sponsor and/or Event venue/producers may require prior review/approval of winner’s performance. Winners will only be featured in Amateur Night at the Apollo, as a guest performer, and will not be eligible to participate as a contestant, nor will winners be judged by the Apollo judges or be eligible to receive any cash prizes. Grand Prize winners must book travel through Sponsor’s designated agents and depart on 11/19/19 and return on 11/21/19 only and accept the flights offered by Sponsor or its agents in its sole discretion. If a Grand Prize winner is not able to travel on those dates, he/she will forfeit the Grand Prize without compensation and Sponsor reserves the right to award the prize to an alternate potential winner, time permitting. Grand Prize includes admission to the Event, hotel accommodations for 2 nights (1 room, double occupancy), round-trip economy air transportation from gateway airport nearest winner’s home, and roundtrip ground transportation in New York City to/from airport/hotel (ARV: $4,000 per prize, there is no retail value associated with performing on-stage during the Event and the actual value of the Grand Prize will vary depending on date of booking, winner’s residency and whether or not the winner will travel with a guest.) For Acts with two (2) performers, each such winner will travel to the Apollo Theater without a guest and will share hotel accommodations with the other performer in their Act. Prizes consist of only the items specifically listed as part of the prize. If the Event does not take place as scheduled, for reasons such as cancellation, preemption or postponement, or for any reason beyond the control of HBO, the Event portion of the prize will not be awarded and no additional substitution or compensation will be provided.
7. PRIZE CONDITIONS: Guest must be at least 18 years of age and of the age of majority in their state of residence (i.e., 19 years of age in Alabama and Nebraska; 21 years of age in Mississippi). Any Sponsor approved changes to confirmed itinerary, made at winner's request, may result in additional fees which will be the sole responsibility of winner. Airline carrier's regulations and conditions apply. Trip may not be combined with any other offer and travel may not qualify for frequent flyer miles. Grand Prize winners must travel together with their guest (or the other performer in their Act) on the same itinerary. If a winner elects to travel or participate in the prize travel with no guest, no additional compensation will be awarded for the guest portion of prize. The travel arrangements must be made through Sponsor’s agent and on an airline carrier of Sponsor’s choice. Winner and his/her guest (if applicable) must possess valid travel documents (i.e., valid government issued photo ID) in order to travel. Winners and guests are responsible for obtaining all necessary travel documents. Seat selection and timing of trip is subject to confirmation of reservations and availability. Trip must be taken on dates specified by Sponsor surrounding the Event. Return of prize notification as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate may be determined, time permitting. No substitution or transfer of prize by winner permitted. Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize of equal or greater value. In the event a winner and/or guest engage(s) in behavior during the Event that (as determined by Sponsor and/or Event venue/producers that, in their sole discretion) is deemed obnoxious, threatening, illegal, or that is intended to threaten or harass any person, Sponsor and/or Event venue reserves the right to request the winner and/or guest leave the Event with no further obligations or compensation whatsoever to winner and/or guest. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission to Sponsor and its promotional partners to use winner’s name, voice and/or likeness for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
8. GRANT OF RIGHTS: By submitting Entry, entrant grants to Sponsor and its licensees, successors, assigns, affiliates and partners an exclusive, irrevocable right and license (but not the obligation) to use, alter and/or edit the Submission, as well as Entrant’s name, likeness, and/or Twitter handle name, in whole or in part, in any manner including without limitation future advertising, promotion and publicity in any medium now known or hereafter devised throughout the world in perpetuity (including without limitation digital media, including social media), without notice, approval or other consideration to you or any third party unless prohibited by law. Entrant agrees to indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Promotion Entities from and against any and all liability, losses, costs and expenses (including attorneys' fees) incurred as a result of any Entry submitted to the Contest in violation of these terms or any rights granted herein.
9. GENERAL RULES: All federal, state and local taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of prize winners. All federal, state and local laws and regulations apply. By entering, entrants grant to Sponsor the right to use all information submitted and Entry for purposes of advertising, publicity, marketing and other communications, worldwide, in perpetuity, without additional compensation, notification or permission, unless prohibited by law. Proof of submission is not proof of receipt of Entry. Sponsor not responsible for incomplete, lost, late, damaged, illegible or misdirected mail/e-mail/DMs/messages or for any technical problems, malfunctions of any telephone lines, computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof. Sponsor not responsible for any damage to any participant’s computer system/software related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Contest. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THIS PROMOTION IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAW. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO DISQUALIFY AND SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH INDIVIDUAL TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW. Any suspected use of robotic, automatic, programmed, or the like methods of participation will void all such submissions by such methods. Contest may be cancelled, modified, terminated or suspended if Twitter changes their terms during the course of the Contest so as to interfere with Sponsor's intended conduct of this Contest or if infected by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes outside control of Sponsor which impairs or affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of the Contest. Sponsor reserves the right at its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with any Entry process or harassed any Sponsor representative or any entrant and to cancel, modify, terminate or suspend the Contest. In the event of termination, a notice will be posted at hbo.com/documentaries/the-apollo/amateur-night-contest and the winners will be determined, in accordance with Rule #5, from among all eligible Entries received prior to the time of termination. By participating in the Contest, entrants agree to be bound by the Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor and Sponsor’s designees, which shall be final and binding in all respects. By participating in the Contest and/or accepting prize, each entrant agrees to hold Promotion Entities harmless against any and all claims and liability arising out of participation in this Contest or use/misuse of prize, including without limitation any claims for personal injury (including death) or property damage and any claims for infringement of any intellectual property, privacy and/or publicity rights or any other personal or proprietary rights. Entrants assume all liability for any injury or damage caused, or claimed to be caused by participation in this Contest or use or redemption of prize. CLAIMS MAY NOT BE RESOLVED THROUGH ANY FORM OF CLASS ACTION. Entries are the views/opinions of individual entrants and do not reflect the views of Sponsor in any manner. Sponsor not responsible for typographical or other error in the printing of the offer, administration of the Contest or in the announcement of the prize. In the event there is a discrepancy or inconsistency between disclosures or other statements contained in any Contest materials and the terms and conditions of the Official Rules, the Official Rules shall prevail, govern and control. In no event will more than the stated number of prizes be awarded. Sponsor is Home Box Office, Inc., 30 Hudson Yards, New York, NY 10001
10. To receive the names of the winners by email, send an email to: WinnersHBO@donjagoda.com with WINNERS 2605-39 as the subject line. Requests must be received by 12/6/19. Email will be sent after all Grand Prizes have been awarded.
© 2019 Home Box Office, Inc. All rights reserved. HBO®, Cinemax® and related channels and service marks are the property of Home Box Office, Inc.
This Contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with Twitter.