The No Child Left Behind (NCLB) Act of 2001 requires each state to demonstrate progress from year to year in raising the percentage of students who are proficient in reading and mathematics and in narrowing the achievement gap. As a reflection of these expectations, five performance goals were established:
1. By School Year 2013-14, all students will reach high standards, at a minimum attaining proficiency or better in reading/language arts and mathematics.
2. All limited English proficient students will become proficient in English and reach high academic standards, at a minimum attaining proficiency or better in reading/language arts and mathematics.
3. By School Year 2005-06, all students will be taught by highly qualified teachers.
4. All students will be educated in learning environments that are safe, drug free, and conducive to learning.
5. All students will graduate from high school.
2008 Documentary Films Series
Tell us what you think about HBO GO. Sign up now to participate in the HBO GO Advisory Panel to share your opinions and for a chance to be entered into HBO sweepstakes and contests.