STRENGTHS OF BOTH FIGHTERS
Bernard Hopkins - (52-5 32 KOs 2 Draws)
• As a forty-ish "Methuselah," Hopkins is one of the ageless wonders of Sports--not just the Boxing-World.
• A classic "old school " fighter, Hopkins combines savvy and slickness willing to do anything and everything to win.
• While possessing one-punch knockout, Hopkins punches hard with both hands, to the body where he often hooks over and under with his left, which tends to wear down his opponents.
Chad Dawson - (30-117 KOs)
• Tall lefty with fast hands and good combination puncher.
• Excellent stamina, accustomed to fighting at a max pace for full 12 rounds.
• Has size and skills to outwork Hopkins.
WEAKNESSES OF BOTH FIGHTERS
• At an age when most boxers are home in bed listening to their bones mend, Hopkins has yet to show signs of aging, which is somewhat akin to a watched pot, never coming to a boil. But it could happen against a strong, younger Dawson.
• Sometimes Hopkins is a little slow to set-up and get his punches off.
• Dawson does not have a lot of power, relying more on combinations and wearing opponents down.
• Dawson tends to lean away from his opponent's right hands--a dangerous move because he tends to step forward when he throws his right, extending it.
• Dawson tends to move straight back sometimes standing in front of his opponent instead of moving away.
WHAT EACH MUST DO TO WIN
• Hopkins' game is inside. Dawson has never faced anyone with the inside fighting abilities possessed by Hopkins.
• Dawson tries to lean away from opponents rights. This could prove to be extremely dangerous for Dawson inasmuch as Hopkins tends to step forward when he throws his right.
• Hopkins has shown a tendency to pace himself, sometimes fighting in spurts. He must give a stronger performance against a stronger opponent.
• Dawson must step-in and shoot his combinations then slide sideway away from Hopkins (ref. see Jean Pascal early rounds against Hopkins.)
• Dawson must fight on the outside and not get into an inside war.
• Dawson must alternate moving to his right and then his heft and stay off the ropes, keeping Hopkins in the middle of the ring.
Posted 12:00 AM | Oct 14, 2011
HBO PPV - Oct 15, 2011
Antonio DeMarco vs. Jorge Linares
Tell us what you think about HBO GO. Sign up now to participate in the HBO GO Advisory Panel to share your opinions and for a chance to be entered into HBO sweepstakes and contests.