Looking Into the Future of Alzheimer's
(Approx. 10:07 min) Featuring: Richard J. Hodes, MD-Director, National Institute on Aging, NIH
With the director of the National Institute on Aging at the National Institutes of Health, we gain a perspective on the growing urgency of research as the population ages and the broader implications of Alzheimer's disease in society if effective treatments are not found.
Momentum in Science: The Supplementary Series
- Understanding and Attacking Alzheimer's 12 min
- How Far We Have Come in Alzheimer's Research 15 min
- Identifying Mild Cognitive Impairment 20 min
- The Role of Genetics in Alzheimer's 12 min
- Advances in Brain Imaging 11 min
- Looking Into the Future of Alzheimer's 6 min
- The Connection Between Insulin and Alzheimer's 21 min
- Inflammation, the Immune System, and Alzheimer's 29 min
- The Benefit of Diet and Exercise in Alzheimer's 16 min
- Cognitive Reserve: What the Religious Orders Study is Revealing about Alzheimer's 20 min
- Searching for an Alzheimer's Cure: The Story of Flurizan 30 min
- The Pulse of Drug Development 15 min
- The DeMoe Family: Early-Onset Alzheimer's Genetics 25 min
- The Nanney/Felts Family: Late-Onset Alzheimer's Genetics 20 min
- The Quest for Biomarkers 17 min
- Hope in Science
Scientists have made great advances in understanding the cause, diagnosis, and possible treatments of Alzheimer's disease. Find out more.
Download the Viewer's Guides
For Momentum in Science
Inside the Brain: An Interactive Tour
The Brain Tour explains how the brain works and how Alzheimer's affects it.
Alzheimer's Disease: Unraveling the Mystery
Shows what we understand about the disease and looks at where science is headed.
Connect with Alzheimer's Research
Find out how you can participate in clinical trials or studies, find a research center, or get up-to-date information at 1-800-438-4380.
The Alzheimer's Association 24/7 Helpline provides reliable information and support to all those who need assistance. Call us toll-free anytime day or night at 1-800-272-3900.
Create A Tribute
Honor someone you care about and share your stories by contributing to The Tribute Wall on Facebook.
The Alzheimer's Association message boards and chat rooms are your online communication forum. Share your thoughts and experiences, query your colleagues, and make new friends.
- Alzheimer's disease may affect more than 5 million Americans, according to estimates from the Alzheimer's Association. As the baby-boom generation moves through retirement, that number could soar to more than 11 million by 2040.
- Today, the direct costs to Medicare and Medicaid for care of people with Alzheimer's and other dementias and the indirect costs to business for employees who are caring for Alzheimer's are estimated at more than $148 billion annually.
- 54% of the adult U.S. population has been touched by Alzheimer's. Read more.