Who Pays for Addiction Treatment?
- Payment for addiction treatment can be a complicated matter. Learn how navigate private and public insurance coverage.
- Insist that the health plan pay for a full clinical assessment that identifies all of the physical and psychological problems that need to be addressed by treatment, as well as other services that are needed.
- Insist on knowing your privacy rights, how your health insurance decides what it will cover and who will work with you to coordinate care.
Treatment programs and practitioners get paid from three sources:
- private health insurance
- Medicaid and Medicare (public insurances)
- public funds that are a combination of federal and state government dollars (for patients that have neither public nor private insurance)
FIVE THINGS TO ASK ABOUT INSURANCE WHEN YOU GET TREATMENT
Before going to a treatment program, you need to know: