Treating Opiate Addiction With Replacement Therapy
FIVE THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT METHADONE
- 1. Methadone allows people to function normally by stopping withdrawal symptoms, eliminating craving
for opiates, blocking opiate induced euphoria, and correcting the neurochemical abnormalities in the
brain caused by opiate addiction.
- 2. Methadone maintenance is the most effective treatment we have for opiate addiction.
- 3. Methadone is the most cost-effective treatment for opiate addiction.
- 4. Participation in a methadone treatment program significantly reduces a person's risk of HIV and
Hepatitis C infection.
- 5. Methadone is the most widely used treatment for opiate addiction in the United States.